Artificial silk trees or silk floor plants need to be potted and shaped. Container is not included with product, unless it is stated in the description of that product. Decorative pots are for show only and not included. Size listed are overall height, from the bottom of the trunk, if "un-potted", to the tip of the top leaf extended straight up. Please allow 2" to 5" loss of height after shaping the top leaves. If your decorative container is higher, your silk plant can exceed the 5 ft height. You can use news paper in the bottom of your pot to raise it and than pack paper around the pot to make it stable. Pack it tight. If yours is a pot that has a pedestal or is a tall urn, it will add height to it. We like to use lava rock or pea gravel to fill the top of the pot for a decorative look. They both come in many colors, and available at most nursery stores. See potting your silk tree or silk floor plant below.
The word silk or artificial silk is used by the industry to refer to all silk trees or silk floor plants, regardless of the materials they were made with. Real silk has not been used in over 25 year, due to new innovative fabrics and molding. None of the artificial silks we carry are made of any real silk. Artificial silks are made from synthetic fabrics and plastic coated iron wire. Artificial silks are not made of any real silk. All artificial silk trees or silk floor plants come un-shaped. Some shaping or assembling needed.
Overall trees, floor plants, bushes and plants height is measured from the bottom base to the tip of the product. So if you buy a 5 foot tree, you will lose a few inches when you shape the fronds or leaves. Most of our trees and floor plants need some assembly and potting. Most trees come with fronds, and a trunk with openings that appear to be holes on the trunk. Assembly is to pop the leaves into the holes. Give the fronds a little shape. Be careful and do it slow as there a main wire(s) that are used to make the frond with and you do not want to over bend it to fast. As the main wire(s) can pop from the plastic coating that surround the wire. Take time with you products, for a long life of the product you purchase. Trees or floor plants may size differently depending on how you shape the fronds and trunk. Most filler trunks can be bent to give shape, these are the finger that come out of the main trunk, again take your time in bending them, as they have a main wire in them too. A good idea to look at our original photos shown in item page.
When buying artificial trees or silk floor plants you might likely to have them already Pre-potted. This will add weight and manufacturing costs for the pre-potted products and can causing you to pay more for the product for shipping. If a spray form is use it is less weight for shipping. As most pre-potted items use this method now. Compared to 4 to 6 pounds with plaster or cement to a few ounces with spray in foam.
If not Pre-Potted: Mache pot, plastic food storage container or plastic pail.
1. The first thing you want to do is go to your local home improvement or nursery store and buy a planter that will make and feel right for you for your style, For most you will need a 8" to 10" in diameter top across. Buying a urn or pedestal pot will make your tree taller and you can add extra height to your silk tree or floor plant.
2. Then purchase some plaster or QUIKRETE© works good and set fast or use Cracks Insulating Foam Sealant available at most hardware stores. If using plaster. Use hot water instead of cold water to makes it set up much faster. The addition of ordinary table salt, add a table spoon full to the plaster, or a combination of hot water and salt will do well. Do not use plaster or QUIKRETE© Foam Sealant in your decorative pot. As it can expand and can crack your decorative pot. Buy a cheap plastic pail and use it. You can even use a cheap large plastic food storage container. Make sure the plastic food storage container or plastic pail is smaller than the opening of your decorative pot.
3. Mix and pour the plaster or QUIKRETE© about 1/2 to 3/4 from top into your pail and mix with water as package specifics, then place your non-potted trunk inside, as the plaster or QUIKRETE© will make it raise. Make sure you support the plant or tree with something to make it stand upright. Use newspaper or you can just hold it until it just sets on its own. Or you can use Gaps and Cracks Insulating Foam Sealant available at most hardware stores. Spray Foam Sealant in your plastic food storage container or pail and place the trunk in fast so it sets. Hold it until set. You can even use a paper Mache pot from you local florist
4. Method: Place trunk in pail. Add some rocks around the trunk to hold in place. And than use the all ready mixed plaster or QUIKRETE© or spray Cracks Insulating Foam Sealant in pail. You will have hold it until foam starts to set.
5. Next take your tree or floor plant that you potted after it has set up, place it inside your decorative container, fill in the bottom of the empty decorative pot if you have room to raise it and around the pot. We use newspaper and than add moss or decorative rocks to add the finishing touches.